There are 8 categories mentioned in the Qur’an in Surah Tawba. They are:
- The poor- those who don’t have enough money, food, clothing and shelter.
- The needy- similar to the poor.
- Those who collect funding- zakah is given to them for the work they do in collecting, keeping records and distributing of zakah on behalf of the Muslim authorities.
- Those whose hearts have been inclined towards Islam- such New Muslims whose iman might still be weak.
- Muslim slaves- use zakah to free them.
- Those in debt.
- For Allah’s cause (Mujahidun)- those fighting for Allah’s pleasure (Jihad).
- The wayfarer- the traveller who has been cut off from everything.